Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 36

Thread: Web Hosting Guide for Beginner

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    439
    Rep Power
    10

    Wink Web Hosting Guide for Beginner

    First and foremost, for non-IT savvy, it might be a little tough for them to comprehend the meaning of web hosting. I believe if you search it on any search engine, of course there will be answer and explanation for them. But, how far do you really understand? Honestly, when I first get to know this term few years back, I had problem understanding myself. Then, I found one simple explanation that might be easy for people to understand. So, today, if anyone were to ask me what is "web hosting", i'd explain as follows...

    Imagine you are homeless and you want to rent a room or buy a house. In order to get a shelter for yourself, you need a room. So, you imagine yourself as the website and the room as the hosting that you need to place yourself in. That means your website need a web hosting. Then, that's the time you start finding yourself a web hosting provider. Here, web hosting provider would be the house owner who rents you the room. So, in order for your website to be available and browsed by Internet users, you need to make sure your website is hosted in a web server provided by a web hosting provider.

    So, when you finally understand what web hosting is, next will be the time to find out more about the different types of web hosting available. You have shared hosting, dedicated hosting, reseller hosting, VPS hosting, and colocation hosting. You name it, the Internet has it! So many to remember and differentiate..so, let's get the ball rolling with...

    Shared Hosting
    Shared hosting means that a web server has its resources shared by many other websites. Or you can put it as, in a house, there are many tenants. Usually small or normal e-commerce businesses will choose this type of hosting. Websites with high traffic might not be able to choose this type of hosting due to insufficient webspace.

    Dedicated Hosting
    Dedicated hosting refers to hosting in which you rent a server from your web hosting provider and will be placed at your web hosting provider's datacentre. They will provide software installation and connection to Internet. This will indicates that the website owner has control over the server as they don't share it with other websites. In short, dedicated hosting is where only 1 user hosted on the server machine and have a full privilege over the server to manage it by themself. The server machine will be still belongs to the web hosting provider.

    Colocation Hosting
    Well, this hosting has the features which are almost the same as dedicated hosting EXCEPT that you provide your own server and web hosting provider just help you to plug it into their datacentre. You need to install own software and hardwares. Everything is DIY.

    Reseller Hosting
    Reseller Hosting is a hosting where the account owner has the priviledge to allocate the webspace and bandwidth access and resell them to his clients. This shows that reseller hosts act like a middleman and is usually not responsible for any software or hardware intallation. They only buy webspace and resell to clients.

    VPS hosting
    VPS stands for Virtual Private Server. It is almost the same as dedicated server. Hence, it's sometimes called Virtual Dedicated Server. Generally, it means that the account owner has the feeling as though his owns a dedicated server. In real sense, it's actually separating a physical server into several independent hosting spaces or VPS-es, each isolated from the other. This will allow you to create and manage multiple sites and domains and take full control of your VPS with root/administrator access which allows you to access the virtual hard disk, RAM and to reboot your private server independently from other VPS-es.

    Domain Name
    After we are done with the different types of hosting, there is something else which I want to touch on. It is none other than the "domain name". So, ever wonder what is domain name? Wow, sounds technical? Not really actually. Don't be scared. Last time, when I saw the words domain name, it freaked me out too. Now, when I got used to it, it's not that nerve-wracking after all.
    So, domain name is just the normal web address or url (Uniform Resource Locator) you type in the "address" area when you open a browser. Examples of domain name are "exabytes.com". You know? Just the normal web address. Well, since it's a web address, it's a unique name. Hence, there will be no other same domain name. In fact, domain name is actually corresponding with numeric IP address. So, every domain name will have its numeric IP address. For example, the IP address for exabytes.com is 72.18.131.206

    When you see exabytes.com, ever wonder ".com" stands for what? It actually stands for commercial. Whenever you see .com, .org, .net or others which ends after the final dot or period (.) of a url, it is known as top-level domain. It actually tells you what kind of website it is, indirectly. And the commonly used domain name extension nowadays will be .org, .net, .com. However, there are a lot of new domain extension up for grab lately such as .aero, .info, .museum, and .name. Next in the list that I shall explain is, Country Level Domain Name. Examples of country level domain name is exabytes.com.my. It has ".my" as its country code top-level domain (ccTLD). .my here represents the country "Malaysia". Of course, different country will have different ccTLD. For example, .jp stands for Japan, .au for Australia, .ca for Canada.

    There are more to learn in order to excel in web hosting industry. Hopefully this simple guide will help all those novice out there. There are other things you need to know as well. But, it will be in my next article. Cheers!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    300
    Rep Power
    190
    Good guide for beginner

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    US
    Posts
    11
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks . Learn a lot .

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Malaysia...Truly Asia
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the tut, although it is not very detail but beginners should understand about webhosting after reading the tut.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kemaman
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    I need some explanation, please help me. Very noob question.

    If I wanna have a website like hantamsajalah.com for my blog or to start a small internet business, what should I do is go find webhosting provider such as netkl.com and choose to buy domain.

    1- Lets say they state the domain pricing is RM33 / peryear. I pay to them RM33 and the domain is mine. Is there any other charge? Connection fee? Registration fee?

    2 - Where should I register my domain?
    2- Should I pay for the domain registation? Is that RM33 a registration fee?
    3- Last question, what are common problems if I am using tmnet web hosting?

    Thank.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Penang,Malaysia
    Posts
    79
    Rep Power
    186
    Quote Originally Posted by eddyra1 View Post
    1- Lets say they state the domain pricing is RM33 / peryear. I pay to them RM33 and the domain is mine. Is there any other charge? Connection fee? Registration fee?

    2 - Where should I register my domain?
    2- Should I pay for the domain registation? Is that RM33 a registration fee?
    3- Last question, what are common problems if I am using tmnet web hosting?

    Thank.
    1. You just have to pay annually for the domain to stay active.

    2. There is alot of place to register your domain.Depends on where you want to buy it.Don't have credit card, have to find local webhost to register a domain.

    2. Domain registration fee should be pay first time for activation.Then pay annually to make it active.

    3. Sorry I'm too sure about tmnet web hosting but you can find a lot of web host beside tmnet.
    http://www.monoglu.net - an addiction to a taste of life

    http://www.dahunz.net - my blog

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kemaman
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunz View Post
    1. You just have to pay annually for the domain to stay active.

    2. There is alot of place to register your domain.Depends on where you want to buy it.Don't have credit card, have to find local webhost to register a domain.

    2. Domain registration fee should be pay first time for activation.Then pay annually to make it active.

    3. Sorry I'm too sure about tmnet web hosting but you can find a lot of web host beside tmnet.
    thank Hunz..

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Kemaman
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0
    one more pls.

    What is the difference between local and non local server ? I wonder if it is an advantage to use local server to host our website rather than outside Malaysia.

    Thanks

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    373
    Rep Power
    168
    It is depend on your website auditions. If majority are from Malaysia (using streamyx) then a local server would be a plus. Because if you put offshore server, the posibility that streamyx line slow to the offshore server are quite high especially during peak hours.

    However, if you are looking for international traffic, then non local server is a better choice. Because the network quality and hardware are much more better.
    Price / quality ratio.

    Thank you,
    Fivio.com | Customize Solutions
    Webhosting - Dedicated Server - Managed Colocation

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    POI
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Many Thanks for your information !!!

    ----------
    Beginner
    ----------

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    England
    Posts
    97
    Rep Power
    0
    I believe this info will give a general info for newbie

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    China
    Posts
    9
    Rep Power
    0

    It is useful for us begining to learn Domain Name.

    It is useful for us begining to learn Domain Name.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    13
    Rep Power
    0

    Information about Domain and Hosting

    Please visit Reseller Section you can register and can be a Free reseller. Once you are the reseller of KIT systems you will find the the way of doing Reselling Domain and Hosting service. There is Video tutorial. I hope you guyz you will enjoy the service.

    Thanks

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    8
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for the sharing!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Kuching
    Posts
    86
    Rep Power
    144

    Save in Drive D:

    Quote Originally Posted by starsearcher View Post
    First and foremost, for non-IT savvy, it might be a little tough for them to comprehend the meaning of web hosting. I believe if you search it on any search engine, of course there will be answer and explanation for them. But, how far do you really understand? Honestly, when I first get to know this term few years back, I had problem understanding myself. Then, I found one simple explanation that might be easy for people to understand. So, today, if anyone were to ask me what is "web hosting", i'd explain as follows...

    Imagine you are homeless and you want to rent a room or buy a house. In order to get a shelter for yourself, you need a room. So, you imagine yourself as the website and the room as the hosting that you need to place yourself in. That means your website need a web hosting. Then, that's the time you start finding yourself a web hosting provider. Here, web hosting provider would be the house owner who rents you the room. So, in order for your website to be available and browsed by Internet users, you need to make sure your website is hosted in a web server provided by a web hosting provider.

    So, when you finally understand what web hosting is, next will be the time to find out more about the different types of web hosting available. You have shared hosting, dedicated hosting, reseller hosting, VPS hosting, and colocation hosting. You name it, the Internet has it! So many to remember and differentiate..so, let's get the ball rolling with...

    Shared Hosting
    Shared hosting means that a web server has its resources shared by many other websites. Or you can put it as, in a house, there are many tenants. Usually small or normal e-commerce businesses will choose this type of hosting. Websites with high traffic might not be able to choose this type of hosting due to insufficient webspace.

    Dedicated Hosting
    Dedicated hosting refers to hosting in which you rent a server from your web hosting provider and will be placed at your web hosting provider's datacentre. They will provide software installation and connection to Internet. This will indicates that the website owner has control over the server as they don't share it with other websites. In short, dedicated hosting is where only 1 user hosted on the server machine and have a full privilege over the server to manage it by themself. The server machine will be still belongs to the web hosting provider.

    Colocation Hosting
    Well, this hosting has the features which are almost the same as dedicated hosting EXCEPT that you provide your own server and web hosting provider just help you to plug it into their datacentre. You need to install own software and hardwares. Everything is DIY.

    Reseller Hosting
    Reseller Hosting is a hosting where the account owner has the priviledge to allocate the webspace and bandwidth access and resell them to his clients. This shows that reseller hosts act like a middleman and is usually not responsible for any software or hardware intallation. They only buy webspace and resell to clients.

    VPS hosting
    VPS stands for Virtual Private Server. It is almost the same as dedicated server. Hence, it's sometimes called Virtual Dedicated Server. Generally, it means that the account owner has the feeling as though his owns a dedicated server. In real sense, it's actually separating a physical server into several independent hosting spaces or VPS-es, each isolated from the other. This will allow you to create and manage multiple sites and domains and take full control of your VPS with root/administrator access which allows you to access the virtual hard disk, RAM and to reboot your private server independently from other VPS-es.

    Domain Name
    After we are done with the different types of hosting, there is something else which I want to touch on. It is none other than the "domain name". So, ever wonder what is domain name? Wow, sounds technical? Not really actually. Don't be scared. Last time, when I saw the words domain name, it freaked me out too. Now, when I got used to it, it's not that nerve-wracking after all.
    So, domain name is just the normal web address or url (Uniform Resource Locator) you type in the "address" area when you open a browser. Examples of domain name are "exabytes.com". You know? Just the normal web address. Well, since it's a web address, it's a unique name. Hence, there will be no other same domain name. In fact, domain name is actually corresponding with numeric IP address. So, every domain name will have its numeric IP address. For example, the IP address for exabytes.com is 72.18.131.206

    When you see exabytes.com, ever wonder ".com" stands for what? It actually stands for commercial. Whenever you see .com, .org, .net or others which ends after the final dot or period (.) of a url, it is known as top-level domain. It actually tells you what kind of website it is, indirectly. And the commonly used domain name extension nowadays will be .org, .net, .com. However, there are a lot of new domain extension up for grab lately such as .aero, .info, .museum, and .name. Next in the list that I shall explain is, Country Level Domain Name. Examples of country level domain name is exabytes.com.my. It has ".my" as its country code top-level domain (ccTLD). .my here represents the country "Malaysia". Of course, different country will have different ccTLD. For example, .jp stands for Japan, .au for Australia, .ca for Canada.

    There are more to learn in order to excel in web hosting industry. Hopefully this simple guide will help all those novice out there. There are other things you need to know as well. But, it will be in my next article. Cheers!
    that is why i join WMM.. Learn A Lot!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Free Web Hosting Provider Guide
    By alphaque in forum Free Hosting Discussion Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2015, 08:32 PM
  2. Question from a beginner
    By kaisology in forum Website Design
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 20-04-2008, 05:37 AM
  3. HTML beginner
    By syedafiq in forum Website Design
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 25-12-2007, 03:18 PM
  4. Free Web Hosting for Developer/Beginner
    By knight in forum Free Hosting Discussion Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 23-11-2007, 03:08 PM
  5. Beginner
    By defacto in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-07-2007, 02:58 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.0 RC1 PL1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32