Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Questions about Malaysia servers

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0

    Questions about Malaysia servers

    1. I am using TIME broadband. Download speed for a file in Netmyne data center is lower than download speed for a file in Equinix Singapore data center. Any idea? What happen to Malaysia Internet Exchange?

    2. Who control the number of hops between my PC and a server? For TIME, traffic to qala.com.sg go thru US but not ne.com.sg How to fix route problem?

    Tracing route to qala.com.sg [210.193.3.9]
    over a maximum of 30 hops:

    1 140 ms 68 ms 77 ms 203.121.22.1
    2 136 ms 70 ms 47 ms 211.25.27.53
    3 82 ms 66 ms 80 ms 203.121.99.2
    4 * 239 ms 323 ms POS2-2.IG2.LAX9.ALTER.NET [63.65.154.61]
    5 229 ms 262 ms 259 ms 0.so-7-0-0.XR2.LAX9.ALTER.NET [152.63.116.86]
    6 284 ms 243 ms 275 ms 0.so-3-0-1.XT2.LAX9.ALTER.NET [152.63.115.166]
    7 231 ms 241 ms 260 ms 0.so-6-0-0.IL2.LAX9.ALTER.NET [152.63.48.61]
    8 289 ms 301 ms 319 ms 0.so-2-0-0.IR2.LAX12.ALTER.NET [152.63.48.70]
    9 282 ms 326 ms 355 ms so-6-1-0.XT2.SIN2.ALTER.NET [210.80.2.86]
    10 320 ms 271 ms 274 ms so-6-0-0.GW1.SIN4.ALTER.NET [210.80.36.38]
    11 298 ms * 290 ms qala-sg-gw.aspac.customer.alter.net [202.94.103.
    234]
    12 290 ms 276 ms 262 ms 203.211.159.21
    13 257 ms 228 ms 267 ms 33.203-211-159.unknown.qala.com.sg [203.211.159.
    33]
    14 270 ms 257 ms 235 ms bb3una9.qala.com.sg [210.193.3.9]

    Trace complete.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    -
    Posts
    365
    Rep Power
    166
    1. Depends on the route between Time and TM. If it is a local route, there may be local congestion. You should try testing at different times of the day for comparison.

    2. The route is determined by the ISP.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mylinear View Post
    1. Depends on the route between Time and TM. If it is a local route, there may be local congestion. You should try testing at different times of the day for comparison.

    2. The route is determined by the ISP.
    mylinear, thanks for the reply.

    1. Agree, there could be local congestion. However the performance degradation is significant, e.g. more than 10%. Therefore if I need a low latency server for Malaysia market, using Malaysia data centers is a not a solution. How do we make sure all Malaysia ISPs and data centers are connected via high speed network?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    pd
    Posts
    497
    Rep Power
    153
    How do we make sure all Malaysia ISPs and data centers are connected via high speed network?
    You cannot. You already know how to determine how they are instantaneously, beyond that, there are no guarantees. Routes are often determined by latency, throughput and so on, but they're also affected by accountants and politicians. If you think a route is wrong, it could be - try reporting it.

    Therefore if I need a low latency server for Malaysia market, using Malaysia data centers is a not a solution.
    I don't think 'therefore' is quite right here! The lowest latency you'll get for your Malaysia market will certainly be from a Malaysian server. Physics says so. It's well known that the speed of light can vary greatly in the vicinity of accountants and politicians, so you just need to choose your location with care. More of what you're already doing is probably the best bet, tried from various locations around Malaysia. There ought to be a website where you can get those stats...

    Low latency - are you intending to put up a game server? Please put Tremulous on it if so. I'm fed up with being pwnt by n00bs who think they're godlike, just because they're in an Internet cafe in the same US city centre as the server. I must get some work done.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Seanie View Post
    You cannot. You already know how to determine how they are instantaneously, beyond that, there are no guarantees. Routes are often determined by latency, throughput and so on, but they're also affected by accountants and politicians. If you think a route is wrong, it could be - try reporting it.


    I don't think 'therefore' is quite right here! The lowest latency you'll get for your Malaysia market will certainly be from a Malaysian server. Physics says so. It's well known that the speed of light can vary greatly in the vicinity of accountants and politicians, so you just need to choose your location with care. More of what you're already doing is probably the best bet, tried from various locations around Malaysia. There ought to be a website where you can get those stats...

    Low latency - are you intending to put up a game server? Please put Tremulous on it if so. I'm fed up with being pwnt by n00bs who think they're godlike, just because they're in an Internet cafe in the same US city centre as the server. I must get some work done.
    Seanie, thanks for the reply.

    Currently I am using a Singapore proxy to bypass my ISP (TIME broadband) for international traffic. So I am thinking of using a Malaysia proxy to daisy-chain with my Singapore proxy to bypass my ISP for the route between Malaysia and Singapore. So far I have tried Netmyne data center. For TIME broadband users, it is not good. Any Malaysia data center that is network neutral similar to Equinix Singapore data center?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    -
    Posts
    365
    Rep Power
    166
    Quote Originally Posted by mybungalow View Post
    1. Agree, there could be local congestion. However the performance degradation is significant, e.g. more than 10%. Therefore if I need a low latency server for Malaysia market, using Malaysia data centers is a not a solution. How do we make sure all Malaysia ISPs and data centers are connected via high speed network?
    Post a tracert from your Time broadband connection to the Netmyne server. As Seanie said, you could try reporting to Time.

    A few months ago, i rported a routing problem to TM. Routes to certain sites in US was being routed via HK causing large latency. After pressing them for a few weeks, they finally re-routed traffic back to normal.

    Similarly, a local route was being routed by HK. They eventually fixed that back to a local route.

    Last week I complained to TM suspecting their router at my exchange had a routing issue. I could not access certain sites. After one week, they finally fixed it.

    The problem is that it is very difficult to get through to them that there is a problem on teir side. They always think the problem is on your side and sometimes don't even do anything about it.

    Just because you have a slow connection between your Time connection an a local server, it does not mean that is true in general. Other local users may not have the same problem for example if they are using different ISPs.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mylinear View Post
    Post a tracert from your Time broadband connection to the Netmyne server. As Seanie said, you could try reporting to Time.

    A few months ago, i rported a routing problem to TM. Routes to certain sites in US was being routed via HK causing large latency. After pressing them for a few weeks, they finally re-routed traffic back to normal.

    Similarly, a local route was being routed by HK. They eventually fixed that back to a local route.

    Last week I complained to TM suspecting their router at my exchange had a routing issue. I could not access certain sites. After one week, they finally fixed it.

    The problem is that it is very difficult to get through to them that there is a problem on teir side. They always think the problem is on your side and sometimes don't even do anything about it.

    Just because you have a slow connection between your Time connection an a local server, it does not mean that is true in general. Other local users may not have the same problem for example if they are using different ISPs.
    mylinear, it is hard to deal with Malaysia ISPs.

    Using TIME broadband
    http://202.75.62.178/10Mb.zip - download speed is 15kbps
    http://www.arpc.net/sermons/2007/audio07jan07.mp3 - download speed is 45kbps

    Trace route from TIME to 202.75.62.178
    C:\>tracert 202.75.62.178

    Tracing route to 202.75.62.178 over a maximum of 30 hops

    1 48 ms 92 ms 87 ms 203.121.22.1
    2 64 ms 59 ms 67 ms 211.25.27.53
    3 89 ms 57 ms 118 ms ge-1-1-0.glsfb1.mbone.time.net.my [211.24.210.2]

    4 240 ms 168 ms 194 ms ge-1-0-0.rjchw.mbone.time.net.my [211.24.210.113
    ]
    5 * * * Request timed out.
    6 * * * Request timed out.
    7 * * * Request timed out.
    8 * * * Request timed out.
    9 * * * Request timed out.
    10 * * * Request timed out.
    11 * * * Request timed out.
    12 * *


    Looks like it is TIME broadband problem. If I report this problem, it is going to trash can of TIME CS.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    -
    Posts
    365
    Rep Power
    166
    Yes, looks like congestion in the Time network. It may clear after some time. Try the tracert at different times of the day.

    Using Streamyx:
    http://202.75.62.178/10Mb.zip - download speed is approx 40 KBps.
    http://www.arpc.net/sermons/2007/audio07jan07.mp3 - download speed is approx 30KBps.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    KL
    Posts
    30
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by mylinear View Post
    Yes, looks like congestion in the Time network. It may clear after some time. Try the tracert at different times of the day.

    Using Streamyx:
    http://202.75.62.178/10Mb.zip - download speed is approx 40 KBps.
    http://www.arpc.net/sermons/2007/audio07jan07.mp3 - download speed is approx 30KBps.
    I have tried to download the file at Netmyne at different times. Best download speed is during early morning. So is download speed for a file in Equinix Singapore. For TIME broadband, Malaysia DC and SG DC, no difference

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Labuan & Kota Kinabalu
    Posts
    137
    Rep Power
    212

    Arrow

    Hi,

    I think there is a different between TIME and Streamyx. You can see the ping test result as below :

    Streamyx Test Result

    Target Name: qala.com.sg <---19 hops only
    IP: 210.193.3.9
    Date/Time: 6/7/2008 11:36:30 PM

    16 197 ms 208 ms 206 ms Qala-Singapore.gw1.sin1.asianetcom.net [203.192.169.206]
    17 198 ms 210 ms 206 ms [203.211.159.21]
    18 202 ms 207 ms 204 ms ge-csw-v21.alpha012.qala.com.sg [203.211.159.34]
    19 205 ms 212 ms 213 ms bb3una9.qala.com.sg [210.193.3.9]

    Target Name: N/A
    IP: 202.75.62.178 <---14 hops only
    Date/Time: 6/7/2008 11:34:08 PM

    12 25 ms 31 ms [202.71.96.125]
    13 30 ms 27 ms [202.71.96.44]
    14 30 ms 27 ms [202.75.62.178]
    MyLabuan Hosting : Web Hosting and Domain Registration

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Is it true that Malaysia servers are better than in US?
    By CypherHackz in forum Paid Hosting Discussion Forum
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 07-04-2014, 02:10 AM
  2. China bp servers and mailing servers
    By service.bp in forum Web Hosting Offers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2010, 08:26 PM
  3. Questions~
    By wingwp in forum FeedBack & Suggestion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 24-11-2007, 12:34 AM
  4. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 16-09-2007, 07:23 AM
  5. Questions on PayPal
    By stephen in forum E-Commerce
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-09-2005, 11:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.0 RC1 PL1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112