Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 16 to 23 of 23

Thread: Two Malaysian Bloggers Sued by NSTP

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    472
    Rep Power
    0
    It is up to the court to assign legal costs. In some cases courts have deliberately assigned costs to the successful claimant because the case was petty or seems to be intended to harrass. If a very rich man takes someone poor to court over damages of only RM10 then that is clearly an abuse of the courts.

    You mentioned a fine - fines are punishments - a civil case such as this seeks damages - i.e. compensation to the value of the loss or harm caused. If I smash your window and it costs RM50 to replace then your damages are limited to RM50, there is no fine. As another case, criminal charges could be brought against me for vandalism or destruction or private property, the outcome of which might be a fine or imprisonment. The fine would not be payable to you!

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my body lar...
    Posts
    1,325
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vincevincevince View Post
    It is up to the court to assign legal costs. In some cases courts have deliberately assigned costs to the successful claimant because the case was petty or seems to be intended to harrass. If a very rich man takes someone poor to court over damages of only RM10 then that is clearly an abuse of the courts.

    You mentioned a fine - fines are punishments - a civil case such as this seeks damages - i.e. compensation to the value of the loss or harm caused. If I smash your window and it costs RM50 to replace then your damages are limited to RM50, there is no fine. As another case, criminal charges could be brought against me for vandalism or destruction or private property, the outcome of which might be a fine or imprisonment. The fine would not be payable to you!
    well... what u said is true also... but just to be sure.... for defamation kinda cases... if one's losing party cannot paid for the compensation seeks by the wining party... will the losing party subject to JAIL term in substitute to monetary compensation?

    by the way... who want to mess around and subject himself to all to all those troubles.... like i said if you ain't got no money... you ain't gonna run your mouth open...

    in chinese, we always say "we just want to make money, and not looking for face/satisfying our ego" "cow choy, ng hai cow hei"...

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    472
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by iamfreelancer View Post
    "we just want to make money, and not looking for face/satisfying our ego" "cow choy, ng hai cow hei"...
    If everyone ignores what is happening around them and just focuses on making money then the human condition will never improve. Whilst I don't want to cause offence, I think the idea of putting your own finances first is quite short-sighted.

    Here are some English sayings: "Better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable", "love thy neighbour as thyself" and "what goes around comes around" (e.g. if you treat others badly then others will treat you badly).

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my body lar...
    Posts
    1,325
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by vincevincevince View Post
    If everyone ignores what is happening around them and just focuses on making money then the human condition will never improve. Whilst I don't want to cause offence, I think the idea of putting your own finances first is quite short-sighted.
    Well not to say its to ignore... its good to know... but if not in the position to made any changes then wat can we do leh.. we are in malaysia woh...

    every1 is looking after their own finances (except citibank is looking after mine when i didn't payback).... there no short or long sighted to it... its just the way one's opinion and their values/believes in life......

    by the way.... no offence taken on anyhow and anywhere....

    Quote Originally Posted by vincevincevince View Post
    Here are some English sayings: "Better to be poor and happy than rich and miserable", "love thy neighbour as thyself" and "what goes around comes around" (e.g. if you treat others badly then others will treat you badly).
    well i long choosen to be better rich and happy...
    well i do my love my neighbor... but they think i like their pretty daugther onli....
    well if money come my way in abundance... i made it goes round by using for the good of humanity and charity....

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    My
    Posts
    967
    Rep Power
    0
    The whole blogsphere community could still do something about it
    KUALA LUMPUR:
    A legal fund will soon be set up to provide financial assistance for bloggers who face legal action, such as the defamation suits by the New Straits Times Press (M) Sdn Bhd (NSTP) against bloggers Jeff Ooi and Ahirudin Attan.

    Speaking at a press conference held by the Centre of Independent Journalism (CIJ) here Tuesday, Ooi said the legal fund was an initiative made by fellow bloggers and would be taken care of by people with good reputations.

    "The proceeds will not only be used to protect bloggers against suits but also to provide training workshops in the field of investigative journalism for bloggers, subject to the approval of the trustees."

    According to Ahirudin, possible trustees for the fund include the former Prime Minister’s daughter Marina Mahathir and former NSTP group editor-in-chief A. Kadir Jasin.

    Ooi added that the unprecedented move by NSTP to sue bloggers had created a climate of fear in the blogosphere but had also provided opportunities for positive ramifications.

    On Thursday, the court is to hear an interparte application for an injunction on Ahirudin, while Ooi’s interparte application hearing will be on Jan 30.
    Ooi, who also has an exparte injunction against him to remove allegedly defamatory postings on his Screenshots blog, described the case as the first time in Malaysian history that ownership of "opinion space" was being subjected to a court of law.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    in my body lar...
    Posts
    1,325
    Rep Power
    0
    eemm... this is just what i mean... it you got $$$ and right connections then you are in the positions to setup a huge fund like this and start to made the necessary changes....

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Kuala Lumpur
    Posts
    472
    Rep Power
    0
    It seems the defence fund, not just for these but for all bloggers, should be available soon. I'll try to post back here with details and links when they are published.

    There is always safety in numbers.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    My
    Posts
    967
    Rep Power
    0
    Yeah, the fund is actually meant for the entire blogsphere in this country. Well thats a good start for the blogsphere union

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Malaysian Bloggers - Show Our LOVE
    By quachee in forum Mamak Stall
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-12-2012, 11:27 PM
  2. I nearly being sued by Dell!
    By kornflique in forum Revenue and Monetization
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 05-05-2011, 03:56 PM
  3. Looking for Malaysian Female Bloggers
    By cmate in forum Blogging Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2009, 06:55 PM
  4. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 19-07-2008, 06:32 PM
  5. hi bloggers
    By bloggersmosaic in forum Blogging Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 15-05-2008, 04:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.5.0 RC1 PL1

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31